If you've had a positive pregnancy test and are not sure what to do, or are thinking of having an abortion, there is support available to you.
Talk to someone you trust
You may want to talk to someone you trust and who'll listen to you, such as your partner, a friend or whānau member.
If you are a young person, it is a good idea to talk to a parent or another trusted adult if you can. If you do choose to have an abortion, it is good to have adult support.
Talk to a health professional
If you are looking for a health professional to talk to, you could speak with a DECIDE nurse through a phone or video call. You could also talk to another health practitioner or a Family Planning nruse or doctor. If you are at school, the school nurse or counsellor could also help.
Do this as early as possible in your pregnancy so you can begin maternity care or get an abortion as early as possible.
Get counselling, if you want
If you're pregnant and considering abortion, you can contact your local abortion provider, and ask for pregnancy options counselling.
You do not need to have counselling to get an abortion but you can ask for counselling at any stage of the abortion process:
- Pre-decision counselling (talk about your pregnancy options)
- Pre-abortion counselling (talk before you have an abortion)
- Couple and whānau counselling (talk together, before and after an abortion)
- Post-abortion counselling (talk after an abortion)
Counselling will be free for most New Zealand citizens and residents.
If you are not a New Zealand resident (non-NZ resident), you will have to pay for abortion services, including counselling. Contact your local abortion provider to find out about costs.
Other places to get help – free helplines
- Need to talk? - Free call or text 1737 - 24/7
- Youthline. Free call 0800 376 633 or text 234 - 24/7
- Lifeline. Free call 0800 543 354 - 24/7
- Suicide crisis helpline. Free call 0508 828 865 - 24/7
- Depression helpline. Free call 0800 111 757 or text 4202 - 24/7
- Shakti - for migrant and refugee women. Free call 0800 742 584 - 24/7
- OutLine Aotearoa - for all-ages rainbow community. Free call 0800 688 5463 (6pm - 9pm daily).
Having an unintended pregnancy can be distressing for some people, their partners or whānau. If you're worried about your safety, there are free support services that can help you.